What is an IONIC Test? Why is it required?
- IONIC TEST – Ionic contamination testing is required as ionic residues remaining from both the PCB manufacturing and the soldering process may affect the reliability of the finished assembly.
- In humid environments ionic contaminants can lead to problems such as shorting by electrolytic dendrite growth, corrosion that erodes the conductors etc.
- It is therefore important to monitor the level of ionic contamination which is a good indicator of the cleanliness and thereby the expected reliability of the assembly.
Retronix IONIC Test Features
- Ionic contamination is measured by immersing a sample in a test solution to dissolve the contaminants.
- The dissolved ionic substances cause a change in conductivity of the test solution; this change is precisely measured and converted into a contamination value expressed as μg/cm2 NaCl equivalence.
- Retronix will provide a full report which will detail the contamination value, the type of device and the sample size.
Retronix meets all international and military specifications
IPC-J-STD 001E & IPC-TM-650
DEF standard 00-10/3